Sunday, February 21, 2016

David Bowie "Blackstar"

Sadness from David's recent death, along with the overwhelming response I've had to this, his last (most recent?) collection, prompted me to fire off this bit about Blackstar.


Simply, it's the most compelling new work by any artist, far and away the most innovative and emotionally evocative piece of music I've witnessed in a very long time. It really shows in a kind of almost final way what magnitude of artist we're discussing here.


It almost makes me miss him more than most music icon deaths in recent and long-range memory. I was pretty upset when Lennon was shot, but that, in hindsight, is what happens to famous people who get stalked (not that that's OK by any stretch). Bowie died a slow death that can't be imagined.


In this, early 2016, Blackstar is the top artistic achievement of the year thus far, by far.



No comments:

Post a Comment